Friday, December 2, 2011

my hands are up!

Remember how the bad guys used to be caught in movies? The "good guys" would corner them and when all hopes of escape were lost, they would lift their hands up and be taken into custody. That moment of the movie was always the moment of relief and recognition the story had come to an end..and thus...all was well. As I consider what that really means, I realize how this idea of surrender was most likely the worst for the "bad guys." It was a sign of losing and also a sign of consequence. The game was over. They had been caught. Everything from that point seemed bleak. No millions of dollars to take and no longer a chance for all the comfort that came with it. Most importantly they had now lost all control of their lives.
Isn't that interesting? Think about it, loss of control.
We celebrated their loss of control, and they mourned this same loss.
We celebrated because we recognized when they had personal control, it meant danger for everyone else. They mourned because they could no longer make personal decisions, from that point on they had to fully submit to the law. Physically, their futures were now bound with chains.

We have been called to fully submit to God. To surrender control. Lose control. Hands up, all selfish games over.
          But
Surrender and control in the realms of Jesus are different. Another one of those "upside down kingdom" principles.
When we give control to God (commit our ways to the Lord) surrender our will and our control for His will and His control...well we find life. Hands up means more life, more freedom and most importantly its the RECOGNITION that I am NOT in control.

ALL of that to say, I am not in control. Recently in life, in work, in friendships, etc I realize, well that my hands are up. Of course I have done the typical run and "control" till I feel stuck in a corner. But, I finally am having the revelation that its a GOOD thing to be out of control (within the realms of submission to God). I can't do it. everything. anything. I put my hands up and say Jesus  you take control. Jesus you direct my paths. Jesus  you direct my thoughts. Jesus you direct my life. small things. big things. everything.
It makes sense to put my hands up in worship as I recognize this reality. this truth. He is in control, and

it is good.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. I'm still learning what this means! It's true, the more I can identify with the "bad guy", the more I mourn their capture (which is often thanks to Jack Bauer....j/k!). But the more I understand the "Good guy" and true justice and grace, the more I know it's GOOD when it's not all ok in my world all the time. Because when it's not all right, someone else has to be in control. Thank you, Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm not brave enough to blog my life to the world. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete